Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office responded to the news that the congresswoman’s husband had been arrested in California over the weekend by saying that the 80-year-old lawmaker would not be commenting on the alleged crime.
“The Speaker will not be commenting on this private matter which occurred while she was on the East Coast,” Pelosi Spokesman Drew Hammill said in a statement.
Report: Average Americans’ Retirement Accounts Are Down 25% This Year Alone. How to protect yourself?
Paul Pelosi “was arrested just before midnight Saturday night in Napa County, and then booked hours later into jail on two counts — driving under the influence and driving with a blood alcohol content level of 0.08 or higher … both misdemeanors,” TMZ reported. “The arrest info here lines up with what we know about Paul publicly, especially his birthday — listed as April 15, 1940. Indeed, the guy’s 82 years old.”
Nancy Pelosi was in Rhode Island on Sunday giving a commencement speech at Brown University.
Paul and Nancy Pelosi live on an estate in Napa Valley on Zinfandel Lane, which is valued at well north of $5,000,000, that has a vineyard that nets the couple $5,000 to $15,000 in grape sales per year.
Paul Pelosi’s arrest generated a wide range of responses online, including from lawmakers.
“This Memorial Day weekend, remember not to drink and drive,” Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) tweeted. “Save a life, call an Uber. @SpeakerPelosi.”
Democrat strategist Peter Daou responded, “The DUI is bad, but the Pelosi family’s insider trading is even worse.”
Other notable responses included:
- Harmeet K. Dhillon, attorney: “Thank God no one was hurt. Hope he gets some help for this problem.”
- Jesse Kelly, radio host: “Always blows me away when this happens to rich people. Dude is worth over $100 million. Bro, hire a driver. My word.”
- Mike Cernovich, political commentator: “The body metabolizes alcohol as you get older. I know a guy who got a DUI in his 70’s. He had only had two glasses of wine at dinner, but those machines say what they say. Keep this in mind as we all get older. One glass even might trigger those machines.”
- Charles Gasparino, journalist: “With all the money these people make trading stocks you would think they can afford an Uber.”
- Mark Levin, radio host: “Can’t really blame him.”
- Jason Rantz, radio host: “As long as there’s no special treatment, not sure it’s news that the husband of Nancy Pelosi got a DUI.”
- Chad Prather, The Blaze: “Nancy Pelosi’s husband arrested for DUI. If she was your wife, you’d be drinking and trying to get away too.”